I finally got my hands on the L’Oreal Glam Bronze Cushion Soleil, after over a month of searching all the beauty counters around Milan, only to find them empty. I then end up finding it stuffed in the corner of a L’Oreal stand in my local supermarket. Go figure. After becoming addicted to the L’Oreal Nude Magique Cushion Foundation I knew I had to get my grubby little paws on the bronzer.
My face is a high street glowy shrine of happiness right now, thanks in part cushions and also to the Rimmel InstaFlawless Primer. I love finding a good highstreet makeup product and this primer is brilliant for summer. I’ve got the shade Light Medium and it works like a skin tint, but also has a serious amount of shimmer packed into the little bottle. I smear a whole lot of it onto my face to create a luminous base and with a damp beauty blender work in the L’oreal Cushion Foundation. A dewy, light to medium coverage foundation in the shade 07, Golden Beige which is a perfect colour match for my slightly tanned skin. The L’oreal bronzing cushion is a warm brown that doesn’t come out too orange but does look almost dewy and not in a greasy way more like a golden summer tan kind of way. It doesn’t have shimmer in the formula, but it does work alongside the foundation cushion in the way that they both set with a dewy finish and give a warm glow to the skin. I again use a damp beauty blender to apply the bronzer and build up a bronzed glow easily. The foundation can be built up to medium coverage and with the bronzer it’s pretty difficult to go overboard even on a pale complexion like mine, like the foundation it’s a light coverage that can be built up.
These three products have become staples this month and I’m barely using anything else, they are a perfect trio of summer glow. I’m already on my second foundation.
Priming your face is a vital necessity in the summer. Trying to make sure makeup doesnt slip right off your face the moment you step outside is number one in the humidty of Milans summer heat. Adding a few extra products into the process helps make it easier and as I’m a pink toned kind of girl I have a lot of products that work with me towards evening out my skin tone and making products that are put on over the top last much longer. Face primers are products that I’ve only been using for the past year or so and I’m an idiot for not getting into them sooner. I never realised what a difference they make the longevity of makeup. For days when I’m a little tired or I know it’s going to be a long day, I usally pull out my Makeup Forever Step 1 Skin Equalizer in the Cool Pink Radiant Primer. I want every bit of help to look awake and glowing and the pink hues are there to counteract dullness and luminize the skin, making all my glowing, dewy foundations shine. Ha. The primer feels quite hydrating and sets an even skin tone for easier foundation application. I’ve found this to be a great deterring of any fine lines, so if I am tired or stressed and you can see it around my eyes, this helps stop those naughty lines from showing.
Once Ive done my base, I move onto my eyes and again prepping eyes for colour or even just a winged eyeliner makes a big difference in longevity. For me nothing beats the staying power of Maybelline Color Tattoo, and this creamy matte colour Creme De Rose is a perfect base. Its a grey toned light pink shade that works well on pale skin. The colour tattoo creamy eyeshadows are study little shadows that once applied set and do not move at all. All day. You have to get in quick and make sure you apply it and set it in place before moving onto the other eye because it can be difficult to work with once its set. Since they don’t move or crease up they are a brilliant base to work over.
Lastly and most importantly for my dry lips, a good moisturising lip balm. Essential and even better when it comes with a slight hint of colour. I usually apply my lip balm before I apply any makeup and then top up a little before I go in with any more lip products or colour. This Dior Addict Lip Glow a pretty, soft tinted pink lip balm that can stand alone while intensely moisturising the lips but can also be used a base balm. Especially when using pink lip colour, I take this out with me during the day if my lipstick is matte so I can add a bit of moisture as top up but also adds a little colour. Perfect for inbetween moments.
Welcome to my weekly roundup post, a way to share a little more about my life in general rather than just my normal posts. There will be a round up of the weeks posts in here as well so you don’t miss anything. ‘Ive called it five things, basically to limit the ramblings so it stays a roundup. So let’s get stuck in.
1. This week I had my step-children staying with us before they went down to Calabria for their annual month-long Italian immersion summer holiday with their grandparents (they usually live in Finland with their mum) and my mum came over as well to spend some time with them and me. They left on Sunday, my mum left Tuesday. It’s been a really lovely week, I love our crazy multilingual family. It can get a bit overwhelming and several translations can be happening at once but we get to the heart of things eventually. We spent the week playing games, going out for ice-cream every night and taking the house to an extremely girlie level that scared Ciro (boyfriend) a little.
2. As the girls left with their dad for the trip to Calabria (he went there 3 days to get them settled), my mum and me took on some DIY. We’ve been living in our new house for about 3 months now and so there was a good two days worth of odd jobs to do. My mum is a DIY queen and helped me go round the local hard wear store to find everything and guide me through painting, drilling and making sure its all level. She also bought us our first house plant for us. A tall palm plant that’s filled up an empty space in the living room and awakened the need for more life in the house. And then to add to the floral situation in my life, my silk hydrangeas from Berrys & Grey arrived and I couldn’t be happier. Every time I mention silk flowers people just stare at me in horror and I’ve purchased a few dud floral arrangements to get to this but I’m insanely happy with this flowers, they look so real, in the flowers themselves and the stems.
3. If you’ve missed it, I posted a style post showing off my favourite espadrilles and a floaty summery number from boohoo, check it out here I’m in a beautiful area of Milan now and literally every street is worthy of style post locations. On the same road but a little further up I pranced about in my favourite of the shoulder top, click here to have a nosy. And lastly the dress that I’m obsessed with here!
4. I love listening to books and podcasts as I wander around, this week I haven’t had much chance but now everyone has left and I’m back to walking the dog on my own, my first port of call is Emma Gannon’s CRTL ALT DELETE Podcast, and in particular I loved episode 18 who had the guest Ryan O’Connell. I’d never heard of this guy until Audrey from BEFrassy mentioned in a snapchat to read his book because it changed her life. I know, big statement to make. I was in the market for a new audiobook and gave his book I’m Special a go. They talk in the podcast about millennials growing up and both Ryan and Emma have books that relate to the millennial bubble and life online. If you aren’t into podcasts but want to see what all the fuss is about Emma’s is a great place to start, it’s very relatable and feels like you’re having a chat over coffee with some inspirational people. Emma is a brilliant host and asks all the questions you seem to be thinking you’d like to ask yourself. Get in on it if you haven’t listened to her already!
5. Lastly, because I’m obsessed with all things house related at the moment, my mum when she came over not only brought me jammy dodgers and Cadburys buttons she also bought me Soya Wax Cakes as opposed to candles. These in particular are from the Cheshire Wax Company. I’m burning the citronella cake at the moment, you pop it on top of an oil burner and light a little tea light underneath and not only is it lasting forever (I’ve gone through seven tea candles and I’ve not even finished half the cake yet), the scent it throws out is incredible. I also have Strawberry Cream Cheesecake which smells like Refresher sweets and Chocolate Orange which I’m dubious about because it smells delicious and I have a fear that I’m going to have constant chocolate orange cravings. If you are a lover of Yankee candles, I think these may be right up your street.
DRESS – Boohoo BAG – Gucci SUNGLASSES – Chanel BOOTS – Office (old) WATCH – Cartier BRACELET – Cruciani
I feel at my most comfortable when I’m dressed in black, even in the height of summer and so this dress since its purchase has been worn countless times. The loose shiloutte screams summer, the shoulders are shown off in an off the shoulder detail and the whole dress is held up by thin straps that cross over at the back which can be shown off when its too hot and your hair is piled on top off your head. The dress is loose and so easy to style, I tend to wear it casual most of the time but I have worn it out to dinner which is great because the shift style lets you get away with eating as much as you like. Which is always a bonus if you ask me.
TOP – ASOS JEANS – ZARA SHOES – DSQUARED (DUPE) WATCH – CARTIER SUNGLASSES – ASOS
When you find a knock off of the Stone Cold Fox bardot crop top on ASOS you snap it up quick and then consider going back for more colours. I love the Stone Cold Fox brand and could literally buy everything they sell, so while I save up for all of that, this summer I’ll be prancing around in my high street version. It’s super pretty, the sleeves dipping low on the arm and the lace crop skimming just above the belly button.